I have a new contributor to my blog. Her name is Savannah and she’s my 12 year old daughter. She’s really gotten interested in baking lately. Probably not surprising since I have a baking blog, right? Right! But actually, she’s been inspired by a tv show called Cupcake Wars. And I’m ok with that! I love that she’s getting in the kitchen and doing her own thing. Strawberry cupcakes are her very own creation and they are so incredible! Strawberry cake topped with fresh strawberry buttercream and a strawberry on top.
Aren’t they beautiful? And so tasty too. Like a bit of summer in every bite.
She started with a strawberry cake mix and prepared it according to package instructions.
Then baked them for about 22 minutes at 350°F.
While the cupcakes were baking, she started on this awesome frosting. Butter, powdered sugar, pureed fresh strawberries, cream, vanilla, and food coloring; beaten with an electric mixer on medium until creamy.
She even decorated them all by herself using a pastry bag and 1M pastry tip.
She did a fantastic job. We served them at a family get together and everyone was so impressed.
Lovely and delicious Strawberry Cupcakes made by our sweet Savannah. We have another baker in the family now. Yay!
- For the cake:
- 1 (16.5 oz/468g) strawberry cake mix, prepared according to package instructions (I used Pillsbury)
- For the frosting -
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons fresh strawberries (3 medium strawberries), pureed
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pink food coloring, if desired (I used Wilton brand)
- 24 whole fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. Fill the 24 muffin cups with batter. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the frosting:
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, strawberry puree, cream, vanilla extract, and food coloring (if desired) with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add a little more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or a little more cream if mixture is too thick.
- For decorating:
- Place frosting in a large plastic pastry bag fitted with a 1M pastry tip. (If you don't have the pastry bag and tip, place frosting in a large resealable plastic bag. Cut a small corner off for piping.) Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes then top each one with a fresh strawberry.